TMO calculates momentum using the DELTA of price. Giving a much better picture of the trend, reversals & divergences than most momentum oscillators using price. Aside from the regular TMO , this study combines four different TMO aggregations into one indicator for an even better picture of the trend. Once you look deeper into this study you will realize how complex this tool is. This version also produce much more information like crosses, divergences, overbought / oversold signals, higher aggregation fades etc. It is probably not even possible to explain them all, there could easily be an entire e-book about this study.
I have been using this tool for a couple of years now, and this is what i have learned so far:
Favorite Time Frame Variations:
1. 1m / 5m / 30m - Great for intraday or options scalps. 30m TMO serves as the overall trend gauge for the day. 5min dictates the longer term intraday moves as well as direction of the 1min. 1min is for the scalps. When the 5min TMO is sloping higher focus should be on 1min buy signals (red to green cross) and vice versa for the 5min agg . sloping down.
2. 5m / 30m / 60m - Also an interesting variation for day trading the 3-5 min charts. Producing more cleaner & beginner-friendly signals that lasts couple of minutes instead of seconds.
3. 120m / Day / 2 Day - For the 30m to 1H or 2H timeframes. Daily & 2 Day dictates the overall trend. 120 min for the signals. Great for a multi-day swings.
4. Day / 2 Day / Week - Good for the , swing trading analysis as the weekly dictates the overall trend, daily dictates the signals and the 2 day cleans out the daily signals. If the daily & 2 day are not aligned togather, daily signal means nothing. Weekly dictates 2 day - 2 day dictates daily.
5. Week / Month / 3 Month - Same thing as the previous variation but for the weekly charts.
The default vanilla settings are 14,5,3. Some traders prefer 21,5,3 as the TMO length is litle higher = TMO will potenially last little longer which could teoretically produce less false signals but slower crosses which means signals will lag more behind price. The lower the length, the faster the oscillator oscillates. It is the noice vs. the lag debate. The Length can be changed, but i would not personally touch the other two. Few points up or down on length will not drastically change much. But changes on Calc Length and Smooth Length can produce totally different signals from the original.
Tips & Tricks:
- This is the best tip & trick I can give you. The #1 best way to learn how any study operates is to just observe how it works in certain situations from the past. MTF TMO is not
2. The Power of the Higher Aggregation
- The higher aggregation ALWAYS dictates the lower one. Best way to see this? Just 2x the current timeframe aggregation = so on , plot the daily & two day TMOs and you will notice how the higher agg . smooths out the current agg . The higher the aggregation is, the smoother (but slower) will the TMO turn. The real power kicks in when the 3 or 4 aggregations are aligned togather in one direction.
3. Position of the Higher Aggregation in Relation to the Extremes
- Overbought / oversold signals might not really work on the current aggregation. But pay attention to the higher aggregations in relation to the extremes. Ex: on the - daily TMO inside the OB / OS extremes might not mean much. But once the higher aggregations such as 3 day or Weekly TMO enters OB/OS zone togather with the daily, this can be a very powerful signal for a TMO reversion to the zeroline.
- Yes, crosses do work. Personally, I never really focused on them. The thing about the crosses is that it is crucial to pick the right higher aggregation to the combination of the current one that would be reliable but also print enough signals. The closer the cross is to the OB / OS extremes, the more bigger move can occur. Crosses around the zero line can be considered as less quality crosses.
- TMO can print awesome divergences. The best divergences are on the current aggregation ( TMO agg . same as the chart) since the current agg . oscillates fast, it can usually produce lower lows & higher highs faster then any higher aggregations. Easy setup: wait for the higher aggregation to reach the OB / OS extremes and watch the current (chart) aggregation to print a divergence.
6. Three is Enough
- I personally find more than three aggregations messy and hard to read. But there is always the option to turn on the 4th one. Just switch the TMO 4 Main, TMO 4 Signal and TMO 4 Fill in the style settings.
Hope it helps.
Dans le véritable esprit de TradingView, l'auteur de ce script l'a publié en open-source, afin que les traders puissent le comprendre et le vérifier. Bravo à l'auteur! Vous pouvez l'utiliser gratuitement, mais la réutilisation de ce code dans une publication est régie par le règlement. Vous pouvez le mettre en favori pour l'utiliser sur un graphique.
Les informations et les publications ne sont pas destinées à être, et ne constituent pas, des conseils ou des recommandations en matière de finance, d'investissement, de trading ou d'autres types de conseils fournis ou approuvés par TradingView. Pour en savoir plus, consultez les Conditions d'utilisation.